While the Bar Association provides Education and Support for Attorneys –
*DSBA CANNOT RECOMMEND OR PROVIDE YOU WITH AN ATTORNEY OR LEGAL HELP.* Please don’t call to ask for legal assistance – we do not have those resources.
There are many ways you can seek an attorney:
FINDING FREE LEGAL REPRESENTATION
Do You Qualify For Free Legal Aid?
IF YOU ARE SEEKING AN ATTORNEY WITHOUT THE MEANS TO PAY FOR ONE:
Legal HelpLink. The Legal Help Link is a collaborative effort by the Delaware State Bar Association, Delaware Bar Foundation, Delaware Volunteer Legal Services, Inc., Widener University Delaware Law School, Community Legal Aid Society, Inc. and Legal Services Corporation of Delaware.
Individuals who meet certain standards, including but not limited to federal poverty income standards may qualify for legal assistance through the online Lawyer Referral Link https://delegalhelplink.org.
Click the image below to access the Legal Help Link:
If, after you seek assistance through this link, you are not deemed eligible for free assistance, you may be referred to the Online Lawyer Referral Service of the DSBA. See info on this page.
DISCLAIMER: Contacting the Legal Help Link and completing an intake does not guarantee representation. Representation is offered on a case by case basis after evaluation of the merits of the case and the resources available at that time.
Hours of Operation: The online Legal Help Link is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
If You Do Not Qualify For Free Legal Aid --
IF YOU CAN AFFORD AN ATTORNEY OR YOU DON'T QUALIFY FOR FREE LEGAL SERVICES:
Online Lawyer Referral Service. The Online Lawyer Referral Service (OLRS) is strictly a referral service. Members of the public who seek lawyer referral will have to enter their name, email, and/or phone number, as well as answer questions on the DSBA website regarding the nature of their potential case. The OLRS then selects attorneys based on the entered criteria and provides the member of the public with a reference number. At that point, the attorneys on the list will be notified of the referral request and potential case and will be invited and alerted to contact the person seeking help.
DISCLAIMER: There is no guarantee that an attorney will contact someone who enters this information. The attorneys who are contacted by the OLRS will have an option to respond and set up a 30 minute interview with the potential client for a $35.00 fee, but have no obligation to do so. Any subsequent fees and costs will be negotiated between the attorney and the client with the exception of a $35.00 fee for the initial 30 minute interview (if the appointment is made).
The DSBA does not answer legal questions, and it does not provide lists of pro bono attorneys or legal representation.
The DSBA Online Lawyer Referral Service is an internet-based web portal which can be accessed by clicking the button below.
USING THE LAWYER REFERRAL SERVICE
DSBA does not provide you with legal advice and cannot refer any attorney to you. However, we have an online lawyer referral system which will allow you to enter your information and email and an attorney volunteer in our referral system MAY choose to contact you. PLEASE NOTE: This is a volunteer system and the attorneys who see your case may not wish to take it on. If you do not hear from anyone, you can assume that they did not take your case. If you do hear from them, you will have an opportunity to meet with them for an initial 30 minute consultation and be charged only $35.
ALSO: If you enter this system, you will receive a reference number. Unfortunately, this program has no way of using that reference number (we are seeking a technological fix to this).
PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE DSBA OFFICE. This is all we can offer by way of legal assistance. Again, if you do not hear from someone after using the Lawyer Referral System, you will need to seek an attorney on your own by using an internet browser or a phone book. Sorry!
BEFORE YOU USE THIS SERVICE, YOU WILL NEED TO KNOW WHAT CATEGORY YOUR CASE FALLS UNDER.
The system is based on what attorneys have reported as the type of law they practice. For some help in knowing what category to choose, click this button to see the types of law your case might fall under. NOTE: The more categories you select when using the system, the fewer attorneys you will contact.
If you are satisfied that you know the type of case for which you need assistance, click this button below for the LAWYER REFERRAL SYSTEM:
SEARCH FOR NAMES OF ATTORNEYS
This is NOT a comprehensive legal directory. To access that type of directory, you must be logged in to this website and be a member of the association. This search will ONLY provide you with a listing of attorneys who meet the criteria you enter and you will not be able to get further information.
Then press Enter or click the Search button below to find entries that match any of those search criteria.
Looking for Information Regarding an Attorney?
In Delaware, the Supreme Court maintains the list of active attorneys. If you need information regarding a Delaware attorney, please refer to the Supreme Court of Delaware's website: https://courts.delaware.gov/supreme/.
Similarly, if you wish to report misconduct or dissatisfaction with an attorney, the Office of Disciplinary Counsel of the Supreme Court manages attorney discipline. For ODC, refer to: https://courts.delaware.gov/odc/
Looking for Resources Regarding the History of the Delaware Bench and Bar?
Watch interviews of the pillars of Delaware's legal community by clicking on the "About the DSBA" tab, or read about some of the "'greats' from Delaware's legal past" graciously provided to the DSBA by the Richard S. Rodney Inn of Court by clicking here.
THESE ARE THE CATEGORIES in the LAWYER REFERRAL SYSTEM:
- Accidents and Injuries - any matter related to a non-motor vehicle accident like falling down due to someone's negligence.
- Business Law - any matter related to a business such as incorporation, filing documents, etc.
- Bankruptcy & Debt - bankruptcy matters
- Cars & Motor Vehicles - fraud, DUI, tickets, car insurance, accidents in a vehicle.
- Consumer Rights - any issue related to payment for a service or product
- Civil & Human Rights - Civil rights, constitutional law, discrimination or harassment, elder law.
- Criminal Defense - assistance with defending your criminal charges
- Divorce & Family Law - adoption, child support, divorce & separation, custody rights
- Employee Rights - any matter related to an employee/employer relationship
- Estate Planning - elder law, wills, trusts, estates, power of attorney, guardianship, probate.
- Healthcare - insurance, power of attorney, nursing home, social security, disability, malpractice, living wills
- Immigration - citizenship, naturalization, visas, green cards.
- Intellectual Property - copyrights, patents, trademarks
- Lawsuits & Disputes - litigation - this is any lawsuit. If you are seeking to sue someone, you seek a litigation attorney. If no other category fits into your case, litigation is the best choice.
- Money Matters - any matter involving debt, collection, credit, securities, etc.
- Real Estate - any matter involving your home or apartment including foreclosure, landlords, neighbor disputes, land use, zoning, Homeowners Associations.
- Other Topics - Any other matter including education, elections, ethics, international law, veterans benefits, identity theft, local laws.