ABOUT THE COMMITTEE
The Committee on Professional Ethics is a Standing Committee of the Delaware State Bar Association (the “Association”). This Committee:
- handles inquiries from Members of the Delaware Bar concerning their own prospective conduct,
- reviews and recommends proposed changes to the Delaware Rules of Professional Conduct;
- and participates in the presentation of CLE seminars relating to legal ethics.
In connection with these responsibilities, the Committee issues formal opinions on legal ethical issues, which are available below.
The DSBA Ethics Committee is NOT an arm of the Supreme Court of Delaware but works closely with the Office of Disciplinary Counsel (“ODC”).
ODC offers a number of resources for assisting attorneys with legal ethics questions and concerns:
ETHICS HOTLINE –
ODC provides informal non-binding guidance to a lawyer regarding compliance with the Rules.
To use the hotline, one must:
- CONTACT ODC (click HERE) for that office’s website and contact info.
- ADVISE THE RECEPTIONIST that you are making a hotline call.
OR CONTACT THE HOTLINE EMAIL AT: ARMS_ODC_EHOTLINE@delaware.gov
The request for guidance:
- should RELATE to a lawyer’s contemplated PROSPECTIVE conduct.
- is NOT seeking legal advice.
- does NOT create attorney-client relationship.
- is CONFIDENTIAL but a lawyer may waive confidentiality in any subsequent, related disciplinary matter in which that lawyer is a disciplinary respondent.
- is bound by Administrative Directive No. 188
ODC FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
FORMAL COMPLAINTS TO ODC –
If one is filing a formal complaint about an attorney, one should access the ODC webpage by clicking below and following the instructions on that page.
NOTE: Any complaint involving a fee dispute could be handled by the DSBA Fee Dispute Committee.