About the Young Lawyers Section
Whether you are fresh out of law school or coming to Delaware after years of practice in another jurisdiction, membership in the Young Lawyers Section allows attorneys to become acclimated to the practice of law in Delaware, meet their new colleagues, and learn about the activities of the bar association. The YLS sponsors informative seminars relevant to the issues facing attorneys new to Delaware practice, provides resources to help them establish roots in the legal community, and promotes collegiality through a variety of social gatherings in all three counties. The YLS is non-practice specific, so its events present unique opportunities to work with attorneys from all areas of the legal spectrum. So if you have been practicing for ten years or less in Delaware, we highly encourage you to join the YLS.
John C. Cordrey
Vice-chair (New Castle County)
Amanda R. Steele
Vice-chair (Kent & Sussex County)
Michael J. Hoffman
Brenna A. Dolphin
Evan T. Miller
Meet your YLS Colleagues
YLS Members in the News
- Happy Hour:
- Thursday, November 14, 2013, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at Café Mezzanotte
- Sixth Annual Toys for Tots Toy Drive and Happy Hour in connection with the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots Program
- Date: December (specific date TBD)
- Location: Chelsea Tavern
- Toy Drop Off Times/Locations: TBD
- Happy Hours (second Thursday of every month through May):
- Thursday, January 9, 2014, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at Café Mezzanotte
- Thursday, February 13, 2014, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at Café Mezzanotte
- Thursday, March 13, 2014, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at Café Mezzanotte
- Thursday, April 10, 2014, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at Café Mezzanotte
- Thursday, May 8, 2014, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at Café Mezzanotte
- CLE (January): Every January, the YLS holds a CLE event which provides attorneys with the opportunity to obtain 4 ethics credits.
- 9th Annual Race Judicata 5K Run Walk (early Spring): This is an annual 5K Road Race to support the Delaware Law Related Education Center (DelREC). We are always looking for volunteers to assist with the planning and on race day!
- Summer Associate Judiciary Program (late Spring/early Summer): This unique event provides summer interns from firms, government agencies, and non-profit organizations with an opportunity to interact with members of the Delaware judiciary and learn what makes practice in Delaware unique.
- YLS at the Beach Happy Hour (June): The YLS’s final happy hour of the year is held at Dewey Beach.
- Second Annual Combined Campaign Cup (July): This is a golf outing to benefit the Combined Campaign for Justice.
Check this page often for the most recent status of these events as well as new events that may be added to the calendar! The YLS also welcomes volunteers that wish to help out with any of the events listed above. Volunteering represents a good networking opportunity in addition to providing the satisfaction of knowing you contributed to very good causes. Please feel free to contact John C. Cordrey with any questions relating to YLS events.