About the Young Lawyers Section
Whether you are fresh out of law school or coming to Delaware after years of practice in another jurisdiction, membership in the Young Lawyers Section allows attorneys to become acclimated to the practice of law in Delaware, meet their new colleagues, and learn about the activities of the bar association. The YLS sponsors informative seminars relevant to the issues facing attorneys new to Delaware practice, provides resources to help them establish roots in the legal community, and promotes collegiality through a variety of social gatherings in all three counties. The YLS is non-practice specific, so its events present unique opportunities to work with attorneys from all areas of the legal spectrum. So if you have been practicing for ten years or less in Delaware, we highly encourage you to join the YLS.
John C. Cordrey
Vice-chair (New Castle County)
Amanda R. Steele
Vice-chair (Kent & Sussex County)
Michael J. Hoffman
Brenna A. Dolphin
Evan T. Miller
Meet your YLS Colleagues
|Name||Evan T. Miller|
|Current Employer||Bayard, P.A.|
|Practice Area(s)||Primarily corporate bankruptcy; some general litigation in PA/NJ/DE and insurance insolvency/regulatory work|
|Tenure in the Delaware Bar||Admitted in December 2009|
|Admissions to Other State Bars||Pennsylvania, New Jersey|
|Tips, Stories or Advice for New Attorneys and/or Experienced Attorneys Newly Admitted to the Delaware Bar||Get active with bar associations and professional groups early on in your legal career. The sooner you begin developing your network, the sooner you will have people you can turn to for help, refer work to, and accept referrals in return. Naturally, the DSBA YLS is the perfect group to start with, as it lets you meet attorneys across a broad range of practice areas, but there are many additional groups you can join that tailor themselves to your tenure and practice area.|
|Contact Informationfirstname.lastname@example.org – (302) 429-4227|
YLS Members in the News
- Happy Hour:
- Thursday, November 14, 2013, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at Café Mezzanotte
- Sixth Annual Toys for Tots Toy Drive and Happy Hour in connection with the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots Program
- Date: December 11, 2013, 5:30-8:00 PM
- Location: Chelsea Tavern
- Happy Hours (second Thursday of every month through May):
- Thursday, January 9, 2014, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at Café Mezzanotte
- Thursday, February 13, 2014, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at Café Mezzanotte
- Thursday, March 13, 2014, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at Café Mezzanotte
- Thursday, April 10, 2014, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at Café Mezzanotte
- Thursday, May 8, 2014, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at Café Mezzanotte
- CLE: Dealing with a Difficult Client (4 ethics credits)
- Date: January 28, 2014, 8:30 AM-1:00 PM
- Live in New Castle County at Delaware State Bar Association, 405 N. King St., Suite 100, Wilmington, DE
- Live webcast in Sussex County at Tunnell & Raysor, 30 E. Pine St., Georgetown, DE
- 9th Annual Race Judicata 5K Run Walk: The annual 5K Road Race to support the Delaware Law Related Education Center (DelREC). We are always looking for volunteers to assist with the planning and on race day!
- Race time: Saturday, April 5, 2014.
- Registration begins: 8:00 a.m.
- Race begins: 9:00 a.m.
- Starting Location: Joe’s Crab Shack, Wilmington Riverfront, 600 Justison Street. Plenty of free parking!
- Registration: Register through the links below.
- Register online – click here (Weekend races close online registration the Thursday before the race at noon)
- Register by mail – universal entry form (Race Judicata 5k, c/o Races2Run, PO Box 24, Montchanin, DE 19710). Make checks payable to Races2Run.
- Register at Delaware Running Company – cash only by the Thursday before the race at noon. Located in Greenville Crossing.
- Entry Fees:
- Entry fee- $20 pre-registration (until the Thursday before the race at Noon) / $25 after and day of event
- Family entry- $60 pre registration fee only
- Child- $10 for those 13 & under
- Note: entrants can walk with strollers, but not run. Dogs are not permitted.
- Tee Shirts
- Post race refreshments with Beer for those 21 years of age and older
- Good times for everyone!
- Awards for top male/female
- Awards for top 3 male/female in 5 year age groups 13 & under through 70 & over
- Awards to top 3 male/female walkers
- Top 3 finishers in each age group that are affiliated with a law firm or the DSBA
- NOVA Timing Systems will chip time using the MYLAPS BibTag Timing System
- Click HERE for race results. They will be posted online during the race and complete results will be posted once the race is complete.
- Please contact Michael Hoffman, DSBA’s Vice Chair for Kent and Sussex Counties, at email@example.com with any questions about being involved in the event.
- Summer Associate Judiciary Program (late Spring/early Summer): This unique event provides summer interns from firms, government agencies, and non-profit organizations with an opportunity to interact with members of the Delaware judiciary and learn what makes practice in Delaware unique.
- YLS at the Beach Happy Hour (June): The YLS’s final happy hour of the year is held at Dewey Beach.
- Second Annual Combined Campaign Cup (July): This is a golf outing to benefit the Combined Campaign for Justice.
Check this page often for the most recent status of these events as well as new events that may be added to the calendar! The YLS also welcomes volunteers that wish to help out with any of the events listed above. Volunteering represents a good networking opportunity in addition to providing the satisfaction of knowing you contributed to very good causes. Please feel free to contact John C. Cordrey with any questions relating to YLS events.