About the Young Lawyers Section
Whether you are fresh out of law school or coming to Delaware after years of practice in another jurisdiction, membership in the Young Lawyers Section provides newly admitted attorneys the opportunity to become acclimated to the practice of law in Delaware, meet their new colleagues, and learn about the activities of the Delaware State Bar Association. The YLS sponsors informative seminars relevant to the issues facing attorneys new to Delaware practice, provides resources to help them establish roots in the legal community, and promotes collegiality through a variety of social gatherings in all three counties. The YLS is non-practice specific, so its events present unique opportunities to work with attorneys from all areas of the legal spectrum.
Join the Young Lawyers Section!
If you have been a member of the Delaware bar for ten years or less, we highly encourage you to join the YLS. Please contact Janice Myrick, Director of Bar Services and Membership, to join the Section. Dues are $15 annually and support the Section’s events.
If you’d like to know more about the Section and its initiatives, please contact Kyle Evans Gay or stop by one of our meetings, happy hours, or events.
2016-2017 Section Calendar
|October 13, 2016||Happy Hour starting at 6pm at Trolley Tap House (1616 Delaware Avenue, Wilmington)|
|October 26, 2016||Fall General Membership Meeting (DSBA Offices 405 N. King Street, Wilmington)|
|November 3, 2016||Happy Hour at 6pm (location TBA)|
|November 10, 2016||3rd Annual Casino Night to benefit DELREC. Registration available at delrec.eventbrite.com.|
|December 1, 2016||Ninth Annual Toys for Tots Toy Drive and Happy Hour (location TBA)|
|December 7, 2016||Lunch and Learn CLE Series at the DSBA from noon-1pm.|
|January 12, 2017||Happy Hour at 6pm (location TBA)|
|January 2017||Lunch and Learn CLE Series at the DSBA|
|February 9, 2017||Happy Hour at 6pm (location TBA)|
|February 22, 2017||Spring General Membership Meeting (DSBA Offices 405 N. King Street, Wilmington)|
|March 8, 2017||Happy Hour at 6pm (location TBA)|
|March 2017||Lunch and Learn CLE Series at the DSBA|
|April 1, 2017||12th Annual Art Connolly Race Judicata Run/Walk (NEW LOCATION – Race is moving to Trolley Square!)|
|April 13, 2017||Happy Hour at 6pm (location TBA)|
|May 11, 2017||Happy Hour at 6pm (location TBA)|
|June 2017||YLS at the Beach Happy Hour (location TBA)|
|July 2017||Summer Associate Judicial Panel and Reception|
|July 17, 2017||Fourth Annual Combined Campaign Cup|
- Happy Hours: Happy hours are held each month from October through June. These informal events are a great way to meet new colleagues and for prospective members to find out more about the YLS.
- Ninth Annual Toys for Tots Toy Drive and Happy Hour in Connection with the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots Program: We will be collecting new and unwrapped toys for newborns through age 12 to donate to the Toys for Tots program this holiday season. This year’s event is being held on Thursday, December 1 at 6:00pm (location TBA).
- YLS at the Beach Happy Hour: Please join the YLS in June 2017 for our annual downstate happy hour.
- CLE: The YLS will be sponsoring a series of lunch and learn seminars on the topic “What I Wish I Had Learned in Law School.” More information will be provided through the DSBA and the TLS listservs.
- 12th Annual Art Connolly Race Judicata 5K Run/Walk: The annual 5K road race to support the Delaware Law Related Education Center (DELREC) is held annually in April. Please check back in early 2017 for more information.
- Summer Associate Judicial Panel and Reception: The YLS hosts this annual program each July at World Cafe Live at the Queen. This special event provides summer interns from firms, government agencies, and non-profit organizations with an opportunity to interact with members of the Delaware judiciary and learn what makes practicing in Delaware so unique. The program consists of a one-hour panel discussion and thirty-minute question and answer session, followed by a cocktail reception. More information will be posted in 2017.
- Fourth Annual Combined Campaign Cup: This golf and tennis tournament to benefit the Combined Campaign for Justice is held each year in July. For more information, please visit http://delawareccj.org/combined-campaign-cup/.
Projects and Resources
- New Lawyers’ Survival Guide – In 2015, members of the YLS and Delaware Bar collaborated to create the inaugural edition of a “survival” guide for practicing law in Delaware. The guide will be updated annually and distributed to new admittees of the Delaware bar at the Supreme Court Pre-Admission Conference each November. For more information about the guide, please contact Stacy L. Newman.
- Access to Justice Pro Se Form Revision Project – In collaboration with the Access to Justice Commission, members of the YLS have been involved in an ongoing project to recommend changes to clarify and streamline forms used by pro se litigants in Delaware courts. For more information about the project, please contact Alessandra Glorioso.
Volunteer with the Young Lawyers Section
The YLS welcomes volunteers interested in helping with its events and projects. Volunteering with the Section provides excellent networking opportunities and is a great service to the bar. To volunteer, please contact Kyle Evans Gay.
Chair: Kyle Evans Gay
Vice-chair (New Castle County): Jenny R. Kasen
Vice-chair (Kent & Sussex County): Allison J. McCowan
Secretary: Jason Warren
Treasurer: Stacy L. Newman
Past Chairperson: Alessandra Glorioso
*Check this page often for the most up-to-date information regarding Section events and initiatives!*
For information regarding Sections, please contact Janice Myrick, Director of Bar Services and Membership.
Changes to the Section’s webpage must be sent to WebsiteUpdates@dsba.org.