The general purposes of the Section, as set forth in its Bylaws, are to further the objectives of the Delaware State Bar Association (the “DSBA”), further the interests of attorneys, judges and members of the community of diverse ethnic backgrounds, foster communication and understanding among diverse groups within both the legal and greater community, encourage the public service rendered by its Members and promote the professional development and interests of its Members.
Vice-Chair Legislative Affairs and Community Relations
Vice-Chair Public Relations
Vice-Chair of Law School Outreach
Schedule of Events & Meetings
- September 29, 2016, 6:00 p.m.– MJL Kick-Off Meeting
Location: Merchant Bar
- October, 2016 – 2nd Annual Beginner’s Golf Outing
- October 20, 2016, 6:00 p.m. – Annual New Admittee Bar Toast Event
Location: University & Whist Club
- December 2016, 6:00 p.m. – Holiday Networking Mixer/Toy Drive
- May, 2017 – MJL Judge Alford Memorial Breakfast
Location: DuPont Country Club, 1001 Rockland Road, Wilmington, DE 19803
Current Projects & Activities
- In May 2017, the Multicultural Judges and Lawyers Section (“MJL Section”) of the Delaware State Bar Association will hold its annual Judge Haile L. Alford Memorial Breakfast. The event is held in honor of Haile L. Alford, the first African-American female judge in the State of Delaware. Judge Alford was appointed by Governor Mike Castle in 1992 and served on the bench until her untimely death in 2003 at the age of 54. During the Alford Memorial Breakfast, the MJL Section intends to grant the 2017 Alford Excellence Award to at least three future attorneys who will sit for the July 2017 Delaware Bar Examination. The Instructions and Application will be posted here shortly.
Completed Projects & Past Events
- The Judge Haile L. Alford Memorial Breakfast was successfully held on May 21, 2016
- October 24, 2014- The Path to the Judiciary (Click here to view)
- October 30, 2014- General Body Meeting followed by the Annual Bar Toast. The Bar Toast was held to celebrate the hard work of the individuals who participated in the MJL Supplemental Bar Review Course and passed the Delaware bar and to thank the mentors, graders and everyone who contributed their time to making the review course a success.
Please view all upcoming events on our Google calendar!
MJL welcomes new members. If you would like to join the MJL Section, please contact Janice Myrick, Director of Bar Services and Membership.