The first segment of this presentation will be an overview of immigration law, with additional information on:
· Ways that non-citizens may come to the U.S. both as permanent resident immigrants and non-immigrants as well as how a lawful noncitizen can naturalize to become a U.S. citizen.
· The removal process and criminal issues in immigration – this begins with a Warrant to Arrest an Alien who is alleged to be removable, the Notice to Appear, the Immigration Court Proceedings, types of relief that can be requested, and possibilities for appeals.
· Criminal issues in immigration – this involves what crimes have what effects on a person who wants to immigrate, or one who is already a lawful permanent resident and which persons can obtain waivers for criminal grounds for inadmissibility or removal.
The second segment of this presentation will discuss:
Basic immigration concepts
· Immigrant Visa vs Non-immigrant Visa
· The Preference System and per-country limitations
· Adjustment of Status and Consular Processing
· Immediate Relatives and the Preference System
· Overview of the Application Process for Permanent Residence
· Immigration Through Marriage: Fiancée Visa Process and Immigration Visa Process
· Affidavit of Support
· Non-immigrant Visa – Non-immigration Visa (B, E-1, E-3, H1b, H-2B, J1, L1 O, TN visa
· Immigrant Visa – The Labor Certification Application, The Immigrant Visa Petition, and Preference Classifications: Eb1, Eb2, Eb3, Eb4, Eb5